Gym and Sports Turf Buyer’s Guide: The Best Floor for Your Workout
Varying up your workout routine is key to staying motivated, but how do you keep it fun when you’re limited by your environment? Try gym and sports turf!
If you like to work out indoors, our gym turf is perfect for you. However, if you’re more of an outdoorsy person, sports and field turf is a great solution.
So what’s the difference between gym turf and sports turf? Many times, the main difference is that sports turf is UV stable, meaning it won’t fade in sunlight, and it is mostly used outdoors. Lots of artificial grass made for sports and exercise is compatible with both indoor and outdoor use, and can handle heavy traffic. Still, there can be differences. For example, sports turf should always be designed to handle cleats. Meanwhile, gym turf can sometimes have a shorter pile to allow for sled pulls and other exercises.
Regardless of how you use it, artificial turf makes workouts and sports practice fresh, challenging, and, most of all, fun! Otherwise, Netflix and potato chips will always sound better.
To help you avoid being a couch potato, this guide will help you incorporate synthetic turf into your fitness and sports workouts.
How to Use Gym and Sports Turf
Synthetic turf floors allow you to transform your workout area or practice field into a space where you can challenge yourself in fun and varied ways. From strength training and conditioning to scrimmages and drills, you can reach your full potential with a safe and resilient surface beneath you.
Gym Turf Uses
Gym turf is a durable and long-lasting option that is perfect for pulling or pushing sleds, completing your CrossFit WOD or performing HIIT workouts. While its sound-absorbing qualities make it perfect for weight lifting and high-intensity work, the softness of the artificial grass provides an inviting space for your yoga mat. Take advantage of the flat, cushioned surface for body-weight work and stretching.
Training for a 5k or warrior dash? Many runners practice speedwork on grass because of the lower impact. If bad weather hits, take your workout inside while still getting the safety benefits of grass. Gym turf products make a great surface for speed and agility training because they’re made to absorb impact, helping to prevent athletic injuries.
Sports Turf Uses
Not only does synthetic turf allow athletes to enhance their training, but it also provides a great space for indoor sports to take place. Sports turf is non-abrasive and provides the traction athletes need to make quick movements without injuring themselves. Keep sports going all year round in your community with indoor soccer, lacrosse or field hockey. Gym turf can withstand plenty of wear and tear, even from spikes!
Sports turf floors can also be taken outside. Many of our turf products have been used as flooring in batting cages, baseball dugouts, Bocce courts, putting greens and in mini-golf areas. Outdoor sports turf is designed for UV resistance, so it won’t fade in the sun. It’s also easier to maintain than natural grass, because it requires no mowing or watering.
Related Content >> 4 Options for Home Gym Flooring
Gym Turf Options
Discover the variety of turf products you can use to upgrade your gym.
Performance Turf Rolls
Performance Turf Rolls are perfect for pushing and pulling sleds. The tough surface boosts your performance during CrossFit and high impact workouts. They come in cushioned and non-cushioned versions to protect your joints. Since these gym turf rolls are made with polyethylene, they are softer than standard nylon turf rolls allowing you to do floor exercises without being injured.
- UV protected for fade resistance.
- Great for pushing sleds, and high impact workouts.
- Indoor and outdoor use.
- The cushion version doesn’t have perforations for drainage.
Shock Turf X
Shock Turf X gym turf is a premium workout surface for home or commercial use. The 5mm foam backing which adds extra bounce and cushion to any high impact workout. This turf was made with heavy use in mind and is perfect for pushing and pulling sleds and for dropping heavy weights.
- Perfect for both home and commercial use.
- High traction and sled resiliency.
- For indoor and outdoor use.
- Up to 10% cooler when installed outdoors compared to turf with rubber infill.
- Not perforated, so may not drain properly if used outside
- Longer fibers show the lane lines where a sled has been used
Launch Turf Rolls
Our Launch performance turf requires no infill and provides an ideal surface for indoor applications from putting greens to batting cages. The foam cushion backing provides shock absorption and thermal insulation, so it can perform in high traffic areas. The turf itself is made from a polypropylene fiber, which is softer than nylon and highly UV stable.
- Can be used indoors and out
- Pet friendly
- Foam cushion backing
- Can be abrasive when doing floor exercises
Sports and Field Turf Options
Bring your A-game to the field with premium sports and field turf products.
Game Time Turf Rolls
Offering the best of both natural grass and a synthetic sports flooring, this all-in-one turf product is ideal for any sports field. While designed for sports fields, these artificial grass rolls are also great as fake grass for backyards, doggy daycares, and much more. With our Game Time Turf, you will never have to worry about mud or rocks ruining another practice or causing potential injuries to players. Even better, your maintenance time and costs will be fractions of what it takes to maintain a natural grass field.
- Soft cleat approved
- Great for sports fields, playgrounds, and more
- Easy to install and maintain
- Can got hot when used outdoors
Sports Play Turf Rolls
Our Sports Play Turf Rolls enhance the safety of athletes playing sports by offering the optimal traction for a wide range of sports. Made from polyethylene fiber, these turf rolls are designed to endure heavy traffic from soft cleats, so you know it will still look great even after lots of use. Maintenance is also very simple, requiring no mowing or watering to maintain a fresh, green appearance.
- Great for football, soccer, field hockey, and more
- Cleat Friendly
- Contains no lead or heavy materials
- Can got hot when used outdoors
Elevate Premium Turf Rolls
This cleat friendly indoor turf is the perfect option for high traffic and high impact sports. The optional foam padding provides extra support for the joints. Meanwhile the durable fibers can withstand lots of lateral movements and offer stability for those who play sports with lots of cuts.
Without the padding, this turf is compatible with outdoor use, but turf with padding must be used for indoor sports.
- Cleat safe
- Great for indoor and outdoor use
- Contains no lead or heavy metals
- Rolls with the optional padding recommended not to be used outdoors
About Gym and Sports Turf
Okay, so you’re ready to up your fitness game with gym turf, but how do you know what to look for in a product? The most important factors to consider are the turf’s face weight, pile height and thickness.
Artificial grass products have a face weight – the amount of material used in your turf per square yard. This is one of the most important factors when choosing the right gym or sports turf. Essentially the higher the face weight, the more durable the product.
If your gym or sports field sees a lot of traffic throughout the day, make sure to get a product with a higher face weight. We offer face weights from 5-90 oz. Be leary of any artificial turf products you see with a face weight over 90, as companies have been known to include the backing to show a higher number. We offer full documentation and free samples, so you can see and feel the difference for yourself.
Pile Height and Thickness
Pile height and thickness are important factors to consider for your floor’s functionality. Choose the wrong product and you might see people in the gym tripping and falling, losing any confidence they just gained from all that practice.
For gyms, fill your space with a turf that has a low pile so your athletes can push a sled across without destroying your floor. The low pile height also keeps a nice appearance for the turf. When considering a product’s thickness, consider the other flooring being used in your gym as well. Uneven surfaces can lead to missteps and falls. Gym turf rolls can also come with attached padding, which adds some height to your floor while providing comfort underfoot.
For sports fields, choose a pile high enough to offer optimal traction for athletes who will be running, tackling, and making fast cuts across the surface. Sports fields contain lots of rubber infill to protect athletes with more spring and cushioning, so the pile height has to be high to contain the optimal amount of infill.
Related Content >> Home Gym Flooring for Your Budget
Gym and Sports Turf Installation
Gym and sports turf offers a DIY-friendly installation. All you need are a few accessories and you’re ready to install. Don’t worry, indoor installation isn’t especially daunting. You’ll be ready to get your sweat on soon after installation.
Glue Down Installation
- Make sure your surface is level, clean and dry.
- Dry lay your turf to implement roll sequencing to minimize normal variations.
- Apply adhesive or double-sided tape, then lay the turf.
- Apply a bead of seam sealer to all seams.
- Roll the product with a 75 lb. weighted roller across the width and length of the product surface.
- The installation must remain in dry conditions for 72 hours so the adhesive can cure properly.
- Sweat on it!
Turf Tile Installation
- First, clean your sub floor so it is free of all dirt, grease or debris.
- Plan your installation with chalk lines.
- Create chalk lines in the center of the room, and begin laying the interlocking tiles along the lines, snapping the locks together as you go.
- Leave the perimeter of the room open until the turf is installed.
- After the turf is laid, go back and cut in tiles along the walls in the room. It is recommended to leave a gap along the wall roughly the thickness of the tiles being used to account for expansion and contraction of the floor in varied temperature ranges.
- If needed, use double-sided mat tape to keep the tile secure.
Gym and Sports Turf Maintenance
Artificial grass is a low-maintenance alternative to conventional grass. Easy to clean and maintain, sports turf is an attractive element in your gym that you don’t have to work hard to upkeep.
For any stains to the grass, use a warm-water solution of household detergent and water, or a mixture of white distilled vinegar in an equal amount of water.
Pros of Gym and Sports Turf
- Versatile: Gym turf works great for at-home gyms, outdoor yoga sessions, CrossFit studios, workout facilities and indoor sports arenas.
- Traction and cushion: Sports turf provides a safe surface that is easier on the joints, allowing athletes to push it to the max with less risk of injury.
- Durability: Synthetic turf can withstand plenty of wear and tear while still looking awesome all year long.
- Low maintenance: Save costs and time with the little upkeep needed for your gym or outdoor field.
- Appearance: Functional and beautiful? Fake grass gives your gym a modern design element with plenty of functionality.
Cons of Gym and Sports Turf
- Temperature: Outdoor artificial turf will get warmer than natural grass in direct sunlight. If you’re installing sports turf outdoors, use Hydrochill, our non-toxic infill that helps keep your turf cool under the sun.
- Installation: While you can install gym turf yourself, typically it’s best to hire a professional.
Still wondering if sports turf is for you? Check out the video to see how this gym owner uses (and loves!) indoor turf.
Ready to take your workout to the next level? Check out all of our gym turf options.