6 Best Scandinavian Flooring Options: Build Your Perfect Stuga
By Ciana Gitre
| Fact Checked By: Michael Ranta
Published: June 17, 2021 | Updated: April 27, 2022
Renovating your home and looking to bring in Northern European charm? Scandinavian or Nordic design can draw in simple beauty and minimalism for a comfortable environment that evokes tranquility. Finding the perfect Scandinavian style flooring is the first step. We’ve got six of the best wood flooring options to help you choose the right one.
Whether you love laminate, vinyl planks, or engineered wood, we’ve got you covered. You’ll receive a list of pros and cons, design recommendations, and styling tips to create the ultimate Nordic aesthetic.
Scandinavian design stems from the countries of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. Like the Scandinavian style, Nordic design incorporates the charm found from those northern countries, as well as from Finland and Iceland. Often, these terms are used interchangeably to describe geographical locations in North Europe.
Light color palettes, earthy elements, simplicity, and functionality are all important to this design. Also, nature is a rich part of Nordic culture, so this style features natural light from windows, recycled and antique elements, and no clutter.
In Nordic culture, your home is often referred to as a “stuga,” which translates into a cabin or cottage. So, to build your perfect stuga, you must start with the ground up.
|Related Content >> Wood Flooring Trends: 21+ Trendy Ideas|
Before searching for your favorite type of flooring, keep in mind some common characteristics of this syle. These homes often have wood plank flooring, with some tile and carpet as well.
Characteristics of Scandinavian Style Wood Flooring
- Light colors and matte finishes: Look for a bleached or light wood look with a matte finish. Light flooring also opens up your space for design possibilities and subtle pops of color.
- High variation looks: For the most natural effect, you’ll want a material that mimics natural wood grains, tones, and aging.
- Wide wood planks: Wide planks visually expand your room and work well to cover large spaces. Also, wide wood planks are trending for their low-profile, polished look.
Laminate flooring is a popular choice for anyone looking for a natural wood look. Surprisingly enough, the first version of laminate flooring was designed in Sweden during the early 1920s. In 1977, after many years of innovation and trials, Perstorp Corporation created the first high-pressure laminate (HPL) floor.
Today, laminate is an attractive alternative to natural wood flooring and with several long-term benefits. Additionally, the layered laminate material is resilient to damage, making it the perfect choice for busy households with children and pets.
Pros of Laminate Flooring
- Stylish looks: Laminate can mimic natural textures and grains. Choose from hand-scraped, distressed, and embossed styles.
- Scratch-resistant: Quality laminate planks come with a strong wear layer protecting them from everyday wear, tear, and scratches.
- Waterproof: Today, most laminate flooring is either highly water-resistant or entirely waterproof. You can confidently place laminate in moisture-prone.
- Easy to install: Another benefit of laminate is the ease of installation. The planks interlock to float on top of your subfloor without glue.
We know you want the best laminate for your Scandinavian style “stuga.” That’s why we’re offering some recommendations!
|Related Content >> Laminate Flooring Buying Guide|
10mm Mohawk Castlebriar Waterproof Laminate
Castlebriar Oak Laminate offers resilient, waterproof material and natural wood looks. Also, these planks feature beautiful grains and textures, making them the perfect addition to your Scandinavian-style home. In addition, Castlebriar Oak Laminate comes in several wood tones to suit your room perfectly.
Benefits of Mohawk Castlebriar Waterproof Laminate
- Hydroseal waterproof finish
- Scratch and stain-resistant
- Made in the USA
- Children and pet-friendly
10mm Antique Craft Waterproof Laminate
RevWood Plus Antique Craft Waterproof Laminate is the perfect choice for households with heavy foot traffic. These laminate planks are highly durable and resist scratches as well as water damage. You won’t have to sacrifice beauty for functionality with Antique Craft Waterproof Laminate.
Benefits of 10mm Antique Craft Waterproof Laminate
- Authentic look and feel
- Approved for residential and light commercial
- Made in the USA
Engineered hardwood. It’s a significant improvement to hardwood flooring. This flooring is made with a natural wood veneer and an artificial core. Thanks to this design, engineered wood resists moisture better than solid hardwood.
It’s a sustainable alternative to natural wood and an excellent long-term investment for your home. In addition, those who install engineered hardwood flooring see an increase in their home value and curb appeal with home buyers.
Tip: Remember, the thicker the wood veneer, the better resistance to all sorts of damage and overall durability. Therefore, we recommend 3mm to 5mm thickness.
Pros of Engineered Hardwood Flooring:
- Unique planks: You won’t find an unconvincing texture or repeating patterns in the planks.
- Stylish: You’ll find endless textures, wood species, plank sizes, and thickness options with engineered hardwood.
- Moisture resistant: Most engineered hardwood is highly moisture resistant. It can even be 100% waterproof if it has a stone-plastic core (SPC). No need to worry about occasional spills either.
- Application: You can install it in kitchens, bathrooms, mudrooms, basements, and more.
Are you considering engineered hardwood for your space? Then we’ve got the perfect style to match your aesthetic. Check out our recommendations.
|Related Content >> Engineered Hardwood FAQ: Everything You Need to Know|
Shaw Expressions White Oak Engineered Wood
Achieving the nordic interior design style has never been easier with Expressions White Oak Engineered Hardwood. The 7% low-gloss finish masks scuffs and imperfections, making this flooring easy to clean and maintain. You can also customize your floor with a range of cool and warm shades.
Benefits of Shaw Expressions White Oak Engineered Wood:
- Easy to install
- Stylish wood-looks
- Wirebrushed surface texture
- 50-year residential warranty
12mm Mannington Park City Oak Engineered Wood
Looking for an easy-to-clean, charming, and natural hardwood option? Mannington Park City Oak Engineered Wood has all the features you could want. Every plank showcases natural wood knots and grain patterns. In addition, the cool-toned colors offer the perfect variety for the “Scandi style.”
It comes with a scratch-resistant, matte finish perfect for busy homes or commercial areas. So whether you want them for your home or business, these planks will look great for years to come.
Benefits of Mannington Park City Oak Engineered Wood
- FloorScore certified
- High shade variation
- Scratch-resistant surface
- DIY installation
One of the most popular flooring choices is undoubtedly vinyl plank flooring. It’s durable, easy to install, and it looks just like natural wood. Additionally, we recommend waterproof vinyl planks so you won’t have to worry about spills and moisture issues.
To fit the natural style, you can select from various light wood vinyl plank options. We included a couple of our favorites below.
Pros of Vinyl Plank Flooring:
- Waterproof options: Many vinyl planks are 100% waterproof. Please check the manufacturer to make sure the product you want is waterproof.
- Beautiful looks and textures: Vinyl planks can mimic the trendiest wood species and textures. Best of all, they’re at a cost-effective price point.
- Easy to clean and maintain: Regular maintenance is a breeze with vinyl planks. Sweep occasionally and mop for a deeper clean.
- Durable: Vinyl can take on all the wear and tear you would expect in a busy household.
Vinyl plank flooring can help elevate your space and transform it into the “stuga” of your dreams. Check out these 5-star rated vinyl plank options for your upcoming project.
|Related Content >> Rigid Core Luxury Vinyl Flooring Buying Guide|
COREtec Pro Plus 7″ Rigid Core Vinyl Planks
COREtec Pro Plus 7” Rigid Core Vinyl Planks are an attractive option for your home. They’re also perfect in bedrooms, bathrooms, family rooms, kitchens, and more. Made with a waterproof rigid core, and DIY-friendly design, COREtec Pro makes it easy to kick off your next home renovation. You can choose from a wide range of colors to perfectly fit your aesthetic.
Benefits of COREtec Pros Plus 7” Rigid Core Vinyl Planks
- A wide array of stylish options
- Residential and commercial
- Lifetime residential warranty
New Standard 2 Rigid Core Vinyl Planks
Heavy maintenance is a thing of the past, thanks to New Standard 2 Rigid Core Vinyl Planks. These planks are easy to clean and feature convincing wood looks. You can choose from a wide selection of high-variation planks in a multitude of wood tones.
Additionally, they’re VOC-free and glue-free meaning they’re safe for both your family and pets. Plus, they’re backed by a 25-year warranty, so they’ll last for years to come.
Benefits of New Standard 2 Rigid Core Vinyl Planks
- 100% waterproof WPC
- Authentic wood look with luxury vinyl
- Embossed in register
- Free of Phthalates and VOCs
Top off your look with complementary decorations, furniture, interior wall colors, and more. We’ve got just the tips and tricks to ensure your aesthetic stays consistent throughout your home.
|For More Ideas >> Visit Our Instagram|
Scandinavian Style Wall Colors
Everything revolves around clean lines and simple designs. With this style, you’ll find calming tones and wall colors that take inspiration from nature. Nature is a large part of Scandinavian heritage and culture. Therefore, it’s essential to incorporate organic shades found in landscapes, forests, and the ocean.
White walls are the classic look, but you can also consider other natural shades. For example, consider pale blue, forest green, cream, and gray.
Scandinavian Style Carpet
Add coziness with Scandinavian-style carpets. You can use carpets to layer different textures or create a bold contrast with patterns. Although these carpet styles are different, they both mesh well with Scandinavian interiors.
Recommended Scandinavian Style Carpets
- Joy Carpets Favorite Retreat Carpet
- Joy Anderson Tuftex Cathedral Hill
- Air.o Fresh Start I Carpet with Pad
|Related Content >> Best Low-Voc Flooring Options for a Healthier Home|
Scandinavian Style Furniture
Soft leather and upholstery materials are trendy for this style. Additionally, comfortable furniture invites you and your guests to relax.
Anywhere you can incorporate raw wood and bamboo is a plus! Thrifted or antique wood chairs, stools, and tables also work well. So your home will be not only beautiful but also more eco-friendly.
Scandinavian Style Decor
No interior design would be complete without proper decor. Add pillows, blankets, wall art, and abstract architecture. Don’t be afraid of mixing textures and mediums.
For example, play up your walls with artwork and family photos in multiples. Series and grid patterns are also popular in Scandinavian-style homes. You can bring more dimension and visual attention to your floors using patterned and faux fur carpets. The possibilities are endless with Nordic decor.
Scandinavian Style Backsplashes
Firstly, Scandinavian style kitchens and bathrooms often resemble farmhouse style. Both styles feature wood-look flooring and cabinets with neutral wall colors.
Next, when it comes to appliances, stick with other natural metals, such as copper or bronze. Also, monochromatic fixtures are another popular choice for Scandinavian-style homes.
Finally, we recommend using white or neutral-colored backsplash tiles. Undoubtedly, subway tiles are the most popular option. Their simplicity and visual lengthening work well in smaller spaces as well.
|For More Ideas >> Check Out Our Pinterest|
Recommended Scandinavian Style Subway Tiles
Bring tranquility and timeless charm to your home with Scandinavian-style flooring. Your rooms will be the main attraction for family gatherings and memories to come.