How to Install Tiles
No Cut Kits
In this method of installation, tiles are chosen so that they fit the closest size under your room size with no cutting of tiles required. Tiles that can be used easily for this method have center, corner, and border tiles available. No Tools Needed.
- Clean your sub floor so that it is free of all dust, dirt, grease or other foreign material.
- Start in one corner of the room with a corner tile and add border tiles outward along the adjacent walls.
- Add center, corner, and border tiles where you see fit.
Wall to Wall Installation
In this method of installation, tiles are chosen so that they fit the closest size over your room size. Some cutting of tiles may be needed.
- Utility Knife
- Straight Edge
- Clean your sub floor so that it is free of all dust, dirt, grease or other foreign material. Also when gluing your flooring down, it is recommended that the sub floor is free of any moisture.
- Begin laying the interlocking tiles along the chalk lines, snapping the locks together as you go.
- Leave the perimeter of the room open until the field is installed.
- After the field is covered, go back and cut in tiles along the walls in the room. Leaving a gap at the wall roughly the thickness of tiles being used is often recommended to account for expansion and contraction of the floor tiles in high temperature range climates.
Note: If you are using a tile system with corner, center and border tiles available for a wall to wall install, it is usually easiest to start in one corner of the room with a corner tile, line the adjacent walls with border tiles and fill in the rest of the room with center cut tiles.
Note: When piecing interlocking tiles together, adhesives are usually not used since the weight of the locked together product is usually enough to keep the floor tiles from moving. However if you do experience some movement and would like to ensure that the tiles do not slide at all, some double sided carpet tape can be used around the perimeter of the installation to prevent any movement.